Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Saturday, July 23, 2011

They're More Than Just Sketches

I find it funny when an artist is drawing an inanimate object, say a tree or a wall, and a person happens to be directly in the artist's direction he/she is looking, that person automatically thinks they are being drawn. Well such a thing happened to me, except that I was drawing the tree, bushes and stone wall right in front of me, and didn't notice until a few minutes later a man standing in the background right where I was staring. Well suffice it to say, he decided to hide behind the stone column so that I couldn't draw him! I thought that was funny. If it were me, I'd probably do the same thing. ;)



When I sketch people in public places, I always try to make sure they don't know they are being drawn. Sometimes that can be a challenge... For instance, I was sitting on the metro, and this man came in and I really wanted to draw him, except that he was standing so I had to lift my head to look at him. From another point of view, the fact that my head was going up and back down to my sketchbook is a clear sign someone's getting drawn! The second guy I drew was standing with his arms crossed on the opposite metro platform, so he didn't even know I existed (this is how it is in Montreal... You can stare at someone on the metro and they act like you're not even there. It's sad really).

LEFT: 30 seconds to capture his pose  RIGHT: About 4 minutes to capture his pose (too bad he moved a lot)

I know I've not posted anything plush in over a month, and there's a very good reason why. 1) I've been working on a children's book, and that needs to get done before the end of August  2) I've been working full time on a freelance contract design job and 3) it's been too hot to work. Yes, I know, it's not an excuse, but it's really been hot, and being all sticky and sweaty and working with chalk pastels just don't sound like a great combination to me. Firstly they're really bad for my health (thank goodness I'm not using the oranges and reds cause they're the most poisonous colours), and secondly this poisonous powder stuck all over me, and me forgetting it's there can mean I could get sick. Plus I'm not a fan of working after work, so I figure I'll work off my freelance and then focus the rest of my time at the beginning of August on getting the kid's book done. Thankfully I only have 2 - 2 page spreads and 8 small 1 pagers to do. I'm also hoping for less heat and humidity in August.

I think I got off topic so let's go back. Plush. Ok so I have a whole 8-10 pages of new sketches of monsters, sea monsters, animal 'monsters' that I'd like to create so there isn't a shortage of ideas, just a shortage of time. If only I could duplicate myself 3 ways, have one of me doing monsters, one finishing the book and the third can continue lounging in this heat watching movies. :) I decided to sketch a few new monsters.


Aren't they the cutest?

Hopefully this heat can abate, my job could end miraculously early, and I can get the book over and done with! Here's hoping. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment