Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Saturday, February 04, 2012

Saturday Flurry

Saturday was supposed to be a day of boring work. I really had intentions of working on my financial forecasting for my business plan, but the idea of cleaning my apartment took precedence. I live in an almost 700 square foot apt with my 2 kitties, and you'd think that would be more than plenty of place for just little ol' me, right? Well, my recent acquisition of polyester fiberfill has resulted in my sudden claustrophobia. I only bought 2 bags of stuffing, but after cutting the first bag to let the air in so I could actually use the stuff created it to expand to twice its size! It's a good thing I placed the bundle in a printer box first, because I think otherwise I'd never get it through the doors. Each bag is 16.6 kg (or about 37 pounds). The bag above the box expanded to about 4 feet wide, and the bag itself is about 4.5 feet high.

The lime green box on the bottom left is a box of cat litter, so you can imagine the size of my stuffing bundles. The one on the right in the blue bag is vacuum packed. If I were to cut the bag off, the inside bag would expand to fill the rest of the room.

So I spent the entire afternoon cleaning my apt to get this stuff in the spare room, shown above. I had to clean out my outdoor locker to store my bikes (and keep them from rusting in the snow, or getting stolen), because they were originally in this room. After 5 whole hours, my house was finally tidy, and I could breathe.

On Thursday I sold this really great monster, shown below: 


This is the guy I sold on Thursday. His arms and legs were made out of an upcycled bathing suit belt I found. Probably the coolest fabric colours ever, and impossible to find.

I loved this guy so much, I spent all of Friday on a quest to find rainbow striped fabric. Either like the photo above, or with alternating white strips, it didn't matter as long as it was a rainbow. You'd think that someone would carry it, but not one fabric store carries rainbow stripes. However, near the end of Friday evening, I did come across some rainbow striped fleece at Fabricland (total fluke!), so I bought the whole bolt. It doesn't have the white or the black in between the colours, but it's a rainbow, and the only one I've found so far. The whole bolt left me with over 4 meters of fabric for $27. Lucky for me it was on sale!

Here's the new monster with rainbow arms and legs.

He's still a bit of a skeleton, only in pieces, not put together yet.

His legs! They're 18 inches long. Even my nail polish matches a bit.

He wanted to be photographed in the snow bank, so how could I say no? This is what he'll look like when assembled, but with less dimension.

What makes both of these monsters really cool, is that their limbs are pose-able. I added 'joints' in the arms and legs, so they can have a bit more personality.

So there you have it. My Saturday flurry involved a LOT of cleaning, and tiny photography break.

1 comment: