Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

New Baby In The Family


My brand new, 1 month old Singer machine break down on me last night after I was sewing up something a little thicker than usual (bad me). I took it into the shop, and on a suggestion of a Facebook fan, I decided to stop by the local thrift store to check out this sewing machine she had mentioned this morning.  Upon getting to the store, I didn't see it right away, but when I was walking up the ramp to the back I spotted it! From my standing point, it was that ugly military green, and I *knew* it was going to be a gem!

I popped off the hard case top, and I squealed (internally) with joy!! It was a vintage Kenmore sewing machine! I have no clue how old it is, I'm guessing it was made in the 70's or 80's. Ok, update! I just downloaded this sewing machine ID PDF file, and after locating the serial number, this machine was made in 1972-73.

I am now overjoyed! This beast is 40 years old! Woooo!! I threaded it and it works so well! It took me a few minutes to figure it out. Haha I even had to resort to a few YouTube videos (just in case).

So let's check out some great photos!






Check it out! You can even see the motor and the gear thingy that will power the arm! So cool!

This machine was so heavy! Even though I didn't live very far, I took the metro home. One whole stop. LOL  Even the 4 block walk back home was enough to have me sweating with exertion! I've been home for 40 minutes now, and my arms still hurt!

Moral of the story? Keep these! They're old, but they will never break so easily.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment