Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, June 08, 2012

Funky Friday Favorites: RAWR Creatures


I want you all to welcome Jayme Walters, owner of RAWR Creatures! 
Let's get to know her, shall we?

 
 
Hi! My name is Jayme and I’m the owner of RAWR Creatures. 

By day I’m a graphic designer at an advertising agency, and in my spare time I create and hand sew as many sock Creatures as I possibly can. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, with my fiancĂ© Tim, and I am known to have ‘maybe’ more than a couple of collections ;) I love finding odds and ends, bits and baubles and little treasures to use in my Creature making – this helps to make each RAWR Creature unique and special.

I love getting to know other crafty types and artists from around the world, so if you stop by, please leave me a message so I can say hi back :)

Visit her:  Blog Facebook Twitter Etsy

Q & A:

Tell us more about what you make!
I hand sew little Creatures made from socks and other found objects. I’m always on the look out for bits and pieces that I can use in a new design or for my next creature. I love buttons of all shapes and sizes, those you will definitely find on all my creations :) RAWR Creatures enjoy small dark spaces and can often be found hiding under the kitchen sink. They enjoy nests made in shoe boxes, munching on clothes pins and socializing with the common household dust bunny. 


How did your crafty business come about? What made you want to start it?
I started sewing up little creatures about 5 years ago, just something to do and to keep me busy creatively. I was never quite happy with the ones in the beginning, but I started getting a lot of positive feedback and people actually wanting orders! That really helped to keep me going and motivated :) I started changing my design, a little here, a little there, until finally, I came up with something that I was happy with! :) It’s still an ongoing, ever changing process, but I find it very rewarding, especially when I have a new little creature staring back.
 
What inspires you to create? What supplies do you use?
By trade, I’m a graphic designer at an advertising agency. I’ve been in the business for 10 years, it’s creative and rewarding but not quite in the same way as my Creatures. A lot of times in graphic design, you’re stuck using pre-determined specifications, or details in which you need to follow. My creatures allow me to work with my hands, go crazy and do absolutely anything I want! No limitations! 

 What is your favorite project or most memorable thing you’ve created?
So far I think my owls. I love all the textiles incorporated into this design and I have a couple of new ideas to come for these guys! They take a little longer to create, but I always have a ton of fun when I sit down to work on one :)
 
Aside from crafting, what do you do for fun?
I love being outside, whether it’s a walk in the woods, camping, or mountain biking. I love photography and taking photos! I use to print most of my own work, but I ended up selling my darkroom stuff, and yeah... now I miss it :( 

My fiancĂ© and I are big into thrifting, yard sales and we’re always on lookout to add to our collections. We’re both currently in the middle of renovating a house and planning to move in by the end of this year. So, I guess you could say home renovation and decorating are keeping us busy! But we’re having a ton of fun in the process.


What are your favorite blogs or websites that everyone should check out?
 
Well, I’m completely in love with the Dainty Squid, who isn’t? ;) I have been following her blog for a number of years now and she is such an inspiration for me – absolutely every part of her life.      daintysquid.blogspot.ca
 
I  have to ask a totally random question, so here goes. If you won millions of dollars
tomorrow, would you do with your little business?

I would 100% start sewing up a storm and open a little storefront :)

• • • • •

I hope you enjoyed learning about Jayme, and that you visit her various sites!

Visit her:  Blog Facebook Twitter Etsy



1 comment:

  1. I <3 her creations. There are many sock animal makers out there but her monsters are so truly unique they rise above the rest! I love them!

    ReplyDelete